Sunday, September 30, 2012
4:00 – 6:30 pm
Near the University of Chicago in Hyde Park. Street parking available.
Please forward and announce the South Side Story Slam to your lists and colleagues, family and friends.
The theme is: “Talking to Strangers”
Have you had exciting, frightening, satisfying, bizarre encounters with strangers?
Did strangers ever turn out to be friends – or people you approached because they reminded you of another? Any stranger ever sat down next to you and engaged you in conversation? What was the result? Where did this happen? How did you feel?
What makes a stranger “strange”???
What images and events occur for you when you hear the phrase, “Talking to Strangers”? Admonitions from your childhood from concerned adults ”NOT TO ….!” ? Did you disobey???
Have fun with this theme and share your well crafted 5 minute stories at our second South Side Story Slam!
Admission: $ 7.00, includes one beverage and refreshments
Basic Rules and Details:
1) Stick to the theme
2) No papers – Story is told from memory, BUT not memorized
3) No props, musical instruments.
4) 5 minute limit, points deducted if you go over
5) Judges base scores on how well the teller crafted and told the story. (Content is given twice the weight of delivery). Did story address the theme and time limit
6) Must be “true” story of teller’s own creation. No myths, legends or cultural tales
7) Open to anyone 18 or over who puts their name in the ”hat.”
8) Ten slots. There may be more than 10 people who want to tell.
Not all will go.
If any of our seasoned storytellers receiving this wants to be a “celebrity judge” please let me know.
Questions? Reservations? To Volunteer? Please get in touch.
Complete information on SHoP’s website: www.southsidehub.org.
Judith Heineman, firstname.lastname@example.org; 312-925-0439
Kirsten Madsen: kirsten email@example.com, 817-271-3456.
Laura Shaeffer, Artistic Director of SHoP: firstname.lastname@example.org, 773-710-5464